Sunday, May 13, 2012

What I learn from a mare

She mothers her foal in a precious way. I learn from her.....

I know I blogged about our neighbours new horses already, but this applies to an instinctual mothering nature God gave to animals. The day of birth we arrived to meet this little foal known as Kai. So fresh and tender, ready to be mothered by a strong, willing mare. She would not let him out of her sight and the distance between them was almost exact. Close and closer still. She walked beside him, ran beside him, crunched on grass beside him and allowed him to nurse when she herself had calmed down to a stillness ...

We approached with our horse whisperer neighbour leading the way, and she tentatively allowed us into her world, but she did. We were allowed to embrace her foal and experience this newness of life first hand.
I watched her animal instincts protect her foal.

Today as we drove by we saw the foal running around and not so close to his mother, but she still had an eye on him, not too close and not too far.

I thought of my mothering.

I remembered Deuteronomy 6:4-8

"... The Lord is God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Impress them upon your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads."


What I learn from the mare is that she walks with her young, lies down with her young and automatically impresses upon her young the ways of a horse! Profound? Not particularly! The miracle is that it happens....

Sounds almost humorous that I think of mothering when I see this mare! I apply it to my own young today that I am to impress upon their hearts that the Lord is God, the Lord is one.
I can do this everyday in multiple ways. The mare instinctively teaches her young, it happens by God's great design.

I am a mother by God's design and His plan and by His grace I want to also teach my young a gospel centered life. It may not be in a green pasture as the mare across the road! However, I have my own 'pasture' and young to care for, raise and teach the amazing love of Christ.


Our pastor Paul Martin spoke today from Titus 2

I am to,
"...be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to my husband so that no one will malign the word of God."

I was challenged and convicted. A good place to be....

My goal: Apply Deuteronomy 6

Live Titus 2


This is not an easy task for any mother and I know I can't do this alone. By God's grace, love and forgiveness I can. I can try day by day to walk with my children and live a gospel centered life. As the mare teaches her young the basics of life, I too am called to teach. Thankfully I have a the Bible to follow for every topic and prayer warriers that surround me constantly. A husband that cherishes me and walks this journey of parenting with me, not against me! For that I am so thankful.

I was reminded last night to remember in prayer the mothers in the world today that are not celebrated or celebrating. For those in mourning over a lost child or lack of children. For those that can't do what they so desire to do for their young.
I pray for them today.


Happy Mother's Day my friends....

No comments: