Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Silence


Our morning began with a somewhat regular routine, but ended up with wonderfully surprising conversation from the heart of my children. I encourage each one (yes, even Sara) to journal first thing and we follow a very simple and small devotional book based on Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, called Jesus Wants All Of Me. I found it at Ontario Christian Books and thought what a simple and meaningful way to introduce Christ every day! So, today was about silence and this is what the entry said today," I prayed. And God heard me. But how do I know? He didn't say anything back. But God knows that I love him. He knows He can trust me. I can trust Him, too. My heart is quiet. The answer will come."

The passage highlighted was from John 11:6. Lazarus was sick and they were calling on Jesus to heal him.  Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it." Jesus loved Mary and Martha, yet when He heard the news he stayed where He was.
I am sure this was confusing, there was silence and they wondered where Jesus was? When He did arrive Lazarus had been dead four days and He assured Martha that her brother will rise again. She thought Chris was referring to resurrection day. Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
We also read that Jesus wept (vs 35) and was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. Later in the passage what moves me so is this, " Father (Christ prayed) I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me..."

That is really what today was all about. I asked the question have we trusted God in hard situations? They each came up with a hard time.
"Losing a championship game"
"Changing churches"
"When an insect dies"
"Trusting God"

All of these were the starting point for our day. It made me think all day about my level of trust when I sense a silence. Mary and Martha loved Jesus and knew that He loved Lazarus. The answer did not come how they thought was best, Christ knew because of His intimate relationship with his Father. I know that I need to fully trust and I so desire for my kids to learn trust in Christ early! Sometimes there is silence, but to me He speaks in ways that are indescribable...





1 comment:

sydney ellen said...

What a great devotion/bible time. . . .I love the Fall pictures!