Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Deep Water

Last night I was able to take in a wonderful evening of fellowship, food and teaching all in one! I was with my mom and sister and enjoyed just relishing in our time of conversation, laugher, sugary treats and catered food. Not to mention the message. We were called into action. I love that. We were called into Deep Water. Well, deep water can mean many things. Could mean something scary or it could mean trouble! I did not hear it that way last night. In Luke 5, the calling of the first disciples, we are reminded of just how important obedience is in our relationship with Christ.
Jesus was teaching from the shore to the crowds and Simon, James and John were coming back in from fishing all night and sporting empty nets. When he finished speaking he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." Simon I am sure was tired and frustrated. Feeling all the human emotion that comes from a hard day at work with nothing tangible to demonstrate hard labour. "Master, I have worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."

That is where I have to stop, for now. See, God knows where I am right now. I am saying to the Lord, "But Lord, I have cleaned the house, made it look as nice as I can, added extra touches and prayed and prayed. I have worked so hard and I have not caught a buyer!" I have been holding onto what I am NOT getting and I have been reluctant to say back to the Lords simply and obediently, "But because you say so, I will drop the house!" So, I am calling you all into holding me accountable, I am letting go of this house and throwing down the 'nets'. The more I hold on, the tighter my grip and the less God can do.
I am the problem, my pride is keeping me from lowering the nets. How arrogant is that? Do I seriously believe that God does not have a plan or a buyer? It amazes me how we can allow ourselves to keep on fishing our way and continually come up empty. I want to be be in the boat and say, because you say so Lord, I will. Today I have a really big net and a really big desire and a really big heart for God and and throwing it down. It is time, for the sake of my relationship with Christ and my family, I have to let it go. God is always drawing me closer to him and I know this is one of the times. I need to rejoice and be thankful in everthing.
We have made it through some interesting times over the past two months and I know it is not over yet. The journey continues to strengthen me and reveal to me that God is in control, not me. That is what I have to sink into right now.

After Simon and company listened to the call and let down his nets and it came up full, so large the nets broke. They needed help from the others and and filled up the boats with blessings!!
then Simon said that he was a sinful man and not worthy to be in his presence. Then Jesus said to them, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men."
They pulled in their boats and left everthing and followed him.

WOW. The gem I take from this is to not be afraid, let it go and follow him. It is all about faith. Do I have it? I crave it.

"Put out into deep water, and let down your nets for a catch"
Luke 5:4

What are we waiting for? What are you holding back?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Very inspiring and useful for my own deep waters. Thanks for sharing.
Love you!

gmudge said...

Found it!!!
Insightful reflection Sandee. You will be blessed as you obey and listen, and it sounds like your antennae is up big time. Good lessons from letting go in your situation right now. We are lifting you up in prayer as you 'deepen' your walk with God in deep water or shallow...the right fish are there to be caught.God's word is alive and well and working in you, thanks for sharing. ox momox

sydney ellen said...

Mom loved the talk, too.