Thursday, March 17, 2011

Shepherding....Why we do what we do!

When asked why we do what we do I could really give a mini seminar of my journey. I also want to be able to give one quick reply. I asked Duncan his one sentence response, again! I am asking frequently and it seems he always has the best way to describe our hearts...

"We only get one chance to Shepherd our children's souls."

His response sums up our purposeful and intentional journey. I love how my hubby is so concise. I am so wordy!! Thanks babe!

 I have read the book, "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp a long time ago and have it on my shelf to read again. A biblical outline for christian parents for sure. A key part for me is deep into the book is in chapter seventeen. This chapter is called, Childhood: Training Procedures. In this chapter is the nugget I love. It is all about A Long-Term Vision. Tripp says, "You must be a person of long-term vision. You must see your children's need for shepherding, not simply in terms of the here and now, but in terms of long-range vision."
Sometimes it is difficult to see the next ten years when you are trying to make it through the next ten minutes! Character training now fits them for the future. That is my heart today!

Yes there were moments today that were trying. I was tired. Coffee did not cut it (that's weird). It was the moments that occurred that I prayed for ahead of time. Those kind of prayers that have help in them, you know what I mean. Science and art came together in a beautiful way today that was inspirational. Enough to give me strength to clean up the school room!!

Back to hearts...
"...out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." Luke 6:45. So, what is going  into their hearts? If I don't know, how can I help them? What do they hear, say, speak and live? We are here to enable them in this journey of life to guide them biblically to discern what things are beneficial and what is harmful.

I ask that God move me and lead me in this journey. If I don't I will be constantly frustrated!

Blessings in your journey today!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oooh, this is so good!
And I love Duncan's take on it ;)
Man, do we ever have to remind ourselves of the long term vision, eh?
It DOES help with the daily grind though, doesn't it?