Saturday, February 15, 2014

Day Fifteen: The Unexpected in Friendship

 Day Fifteen brings with it many potential posts,
 but this one is a must...friendship.


 She popped in with her usual cheery disposition and contagious smile along with her eager son, ready to enjoy an early birthday celebration. Quickly she motioned to her son to sprint back to the car for something?
He came back with a bouquet of fresh roses, and handed them to me.

Later she said she saw them and thought of me. Now I have this gorgeous display on my mantle. I look at them and am thankful she is in my life. She is a tender soul with a deep love for her children.

She is creative, active, spirited, funny, thoughtful, caring and joyful. Teaching is her profession,  inspiring those children daily AND
 her heart is in her home - for her children walking with them on this journey of life.
 
 




"Friendship is the greatest of worldly goods. Certainly to me it is the chief of happiness of life. If I had to give a piece of advice to a young man about a place to live, I think I should say, 'Sacrifice almost everything to live where you can be near your friends.' I know I am very fortunate in that respect."

C.S. Lewis

 







The gift of friendship begins at home. Sally Clarkson
reminds us in her book Ten Gifts of Wisdom, that, "As mothers, we have the powerful opportunity to teach our children the great value and worth of friendships. The way we model, encourage, and create fellowship is crucial to the way our children will learn to relate in their own adult lives. I never  wanted my children to see themselves as loners, as people not responsible to love and bless others. I wanted them to perceive themselves as givers, as hosts, as true friends. We were made to know God's love through the love we give and receive. We were made for close family friendships, for community, for relationships that last throughout our lives.
But friendship is something we must fight to create." (p.22)



 
We as mothers have this opportunity to walk with our children and give them the gift of understanding true friendships, mainly how to be a friend.
Life with friends is like this bouquet. 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Heather said...

Aw, how beautiful!
What a great example of friendship for her children and yours :)